Monday, March 21, 2011

Max Perlich


He's done a lot of different roles, but I always think of Max Perlich as a druggie. He was the mean, dopey druggie in Drugstore Cowboy, and the loveable, dopey druggie in Rush (which I watched last night for the first time in about 18 years), and then he was just a random druggie in Blow.

Can I just say, I hated Blow. Or, it's not so much that I hate Blow- I just don't understand why people love it. It's a downer and there are zero likeable or interesting characters. The dialogue is boring and the plot is this: bad shit happens to Johnny Depp's character.

I'm convinced that people like this movie for one of two reasons; either 1.) they love Johnny Depp, or 2.) they love cocaine.

But back to Max. In Drugstore Cowboy, Perlich plays a young guy who buys and sells from Matt Dillon's character. His character starts off funny and ends up angry and violent. In Rush he's charming and kind and it's sad because you know his character is doomed.

Max Perlich is handsome, but not really in a leading man sort of way. He's more like the old-time character actor- I could see him playing Elisha Cook Jr.'s role, Wilmer, in The Maltese Falcon. Also, Perlich seems to like old-timey hats, he's always wearing them, even in Luscious Jackson's video for "Naked Eye".

Anyway, I like him, and it's always good to see him in a movie. If you want to see him at his best, skip Blow, and check out Drugstore Cowboy and Rush (he's also in Maverick- yes, it's hard to watch, but luckily the Jodie Foster-ness cancels out the Mel Gibson-ness of the movie).

No comments: