Tuesday, March 15, 2011

New books


It was a beautiful late-winter day out yesterday and I went to the library. This time of year, every year, I get the urge to do all the reading I think I should've done during the winter months. Because winter is the time to stay indoors in mismatched cloths and read books.

I've done plenty of that this winter, but, tick-toc, it's almost spring, and every year around this time I start to think that once spring comes I'll be spending all kinds of time out having fun. That hardly happens, but, like most of my ideas, it's a nice thought.

So anyway, I wasn't planning on getting all biographies, but that's what I did. I couldn't decide between two Elvis Costello books so I got both. And Bob Woodward's Wired, plus Belinda Carlisle's Lips Unsealed. So far I've skimmed the music books and read the entire Belushi book. After all, Carrie Fisher was interviewed for it. I think she had the most insightful things to say. But overall, the book was a bore. I can see how it would seem like a scandal in 1984, but now none of those things are a big deal anymore.

All of this leaves me wishing that Carrie Fisher had written a real autobiography- Wishful Drinking doesn't count, it's more like a long magazine article.

No comments: