Thursday, March 31, 2011

"Thriller" singles





They don't do it anymore, but nearly every song off Thriller was released as a single. I bought most of them- at K-mart, Ames, or Caldors, the department stores in my town- but none of them came in picture sleeves. It was just plain white sleeves with holes cut out to show the Epic Records label so I was interested to see what the actual pictures looked like.

I'm surprised by how boring the "Thriller" cover is, and how lame the "Wanna Be Starting Something" picture sleeve is. I do like the "Billie Jean" picture sleeve though- that's cool.

I was trying to remember is I got the Off The Wall album before Thriller, but now I remember that the first time I heard the Off The Wall track "Working Day and Night" was as the B-side to "P.Y.T.". I love "Working day and Night", just like I love the Off The Wall album. I think it's better than Thriller, or at least as good. Of course there were videos for some of those songs, but that was before they became mini-movies. In those days it was just MJ dancing and sweating in front of disco balls and flaashing lights.

No comments: