Thursday, March 17, 2011

New cable


Now that we have all the HBOs and Showtimes at home I'm seeing all kinds of cool shit. Yesterday I saw Wishful Drinking and right now I'm watching The Jackel. I've already seen it, as well as Day of the Jackel; incidentally, I saw both movies on Cape Cod over ten years ago.

I like the original, and I like the new version too, but I have to admit: I'm very upset by the violence in The Jackel. Poor Jack Black. And the guy walking down the stairs. And the gay guy. It's awful and brutal.

And speaking of...I saw Edge of Darkness too. When I first moved here and was out looking for a job I saw them filming scenes. I stood and watched just a few feet away from where I eventually landed a job and remain to this day. Pretty cool.

In the movie I saw a lot of places I recognize.

By the way, I think this role was a smart choice for Mel Gibson. I've never been a fan, and his drunk driving incident and recorded phone calls didn't improve things, but I felt so sorry for his character that I was able to forget all that.

But the thing is, there are three scenes in this movie that are so brutal and upsetting that I couldn't really enjoy the movie overall.

No comments: