Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Corey Haim



I was obsessed with Corey Haim when I was 11. I had to rip my jeans at the knee because that's what he was wearing in People magazine. And I read that his favorite drink was New York Seltzer orange soda so at 9 at night I went to the local convenience store for some and then drank it from the shot glasses I'd bought that summer on the cape.

I liked Lucas, and The Lost Boys, and even Licence to Drive (with Heather Graham, right before Drugstore Cowboy- it's so wierd to think about how different things were back then and how young everyone was).

By the time he started making movies like Dream a Little Dream and Prayer for the Rollerboys I'd lost interest. I read somewhere he tried selling a one of his teeth on ebay. E made a True Hollywood Story about him. It was sad because at one point they were talking to Haim's father who said,"Corey told me that someday he's going to win an Academy Award and I think he will".

After I saw the news about Corey Haim, crawing across the bottom of the screen during The Soup, I flipped around and settled on an old episode of Frasier. He'd gotten rid of his father's chair, tried to track it down, and found it at a high school presentation of Ten Little Indians. The students and director were all running around getting ready and suddenly Brittany Murphy walked up, looking exactly as she did in Clueless. That was a strange moment.




Note: The photo above was found on the web and was not autographed for me. When I saw it, though, I wished that I had thought to write him a letter.

No comments: