Friday, March 19, 2010

Oddballs






Oddballs (2000) Frank Black
B-side collection

I never bought this because I had most of the songs already. A year after it came out, though, a friend burned me a copy and I fell in love with "Can I Get A Witness", plus it was neat to hear the slightly different versions of some songs, like: "At The End Of The World", "Oddballs", and "Anouncement".

I'm glad that now I finally get to read the notes that FB wrote for this collection (click on the picture to enlarge; it should be bigger and easier to read).

1 comment:

RJ Battles said...

In the fall of 1994, FB did some dates opening for They Might Be Giants and they came to Smith College in Northampton, MA.

It was my first time seeing him, and my only time seeing him solo/acoustic (though he did plug in at a few points and another guy played with him for a few songs).

Whenever he needed a new guitar for a song he would hang it on top of the one before til he was wearing several.

Anyway, he played the song "Jumping Beans"; when he introduced it, I thought he said, "I wrote this song 5 minutes ago". Over the years, when talking about this song, he said he wrote it in 5 minutes.

I must've mis-heard him at the show, still, I believe it was fairly new when he performed it at the TMBG show.

I love the original version- part of "the kitchen tapes", demos played in Joey Satiago's kitchen which include the original version of "Modern Age" (which later appeared on the Catholic's LP Devil's Workshop.

"The kitchen tapes" were tacked on to the end of the live CD The Black Sessions- a live show taped in France.