Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"Wolf"




Wolf (1994)

I first saw this in the theatres with my brother. I got my licence that year so I probably drove. Today I saw it again on cable and I still like it, in fact, now I'm able to appreciate it more. Since Mike Nichols is the director of The Graduate and Postcards From the Edge, people were probably surprised that he would do a werewolf movie but once you see it you find it really is his type of movie.

It's set in the world of New York City book publishing with Jack Nicholson playing the chief editor at a large, prestigious publishing house. His job is in danger because of his age, the new owner, and (he soon finds out) his protege, James Spader, playing the same character he always plays.

He's married (he also finds out his wife is sleeping with James Spader) but his love interest in the movie is Michelle Phieffer, who plays the new owners druggie daughter. Fresh from playing Catwoman in Batman Returns, she's pretty good.

Anyway, the thing I really liked about this movie (and still do) is the way it was shot. Most of the scenes have a certain look to them, an old-fashioned quality that I haven't seen in any movies since. I don't know exactly what they did to achieve this but if I ever make a movie I'm going to find out and make my movie the same way. Watch Wolf and see what I mean.

While I'm at it, let's try to clear uop something else: The Exorcist. Remember the opening sequence in Iraq? When Father Merin is at the dig. Everything is super-clear and clean and a little fast. It's very dream-like. How did they get that look? None of the other scenes in the movie look like that. My guess is that they used more frames per second, but what do I know? If you do know, or if you just have a guess let me know. Thanks, RJ

No comments: