Thursday, February 17, 2011

EPs: "Now They'll Sleep" by Belly






Now They'll Sleep EP (1995) Belly

Now They'll Sleep was the first single from Belly's 1995 LP King. Now They'll Sleep perfectly represents the songs on King and it's very catchy.

The title comes from The Wizard of Oz. When Dorothy and everyone are on their way to see the wizard they come upon a field of poppies. The Wicked Witch of the West is watching through her crystal ball and says "Now they'll sleep".

I've never seen the movie Tank Girl but "Thief" is on the soundtrack. It's also on the soundtrack of Twister; I've seen that movie three times but still I don't know when it appears or if it does at all. Back in the mid-90s, a lot of "alternative rock" songs would show up on soundtrack albums- not because they were in any way related to the story, but because record companies wanted to boost soundtrack sales or they wanted to promote certain bands.

I used to skip over "Thief" and didn't like it too much till I gave it a second chance when it appeared on Sweet Ride: The Best of Belly.

It is a good song, but track three, "Baby's Arm", should've taken its place. I've always loved "Baby's Arm"- it sounds like Star-era Belly. It almost sounds like Real Ramona-era Throwing Muses. It has a demo feel to it and it would be cool to see Tanya Donelly re-record it for a solo album.

Track four, "John Dark" was supposed to be on King but got left off. That's fine, it's a little weak and a little dreary. Plus the lyrics turn me off.

Although I love the color brown I found the front cover a little disappointing. On the other hand, the set-up of the back cover is cool. You can tell they were trying to do something different from the Star-era EPs. The Star-era EPs are impossible to top but it was a good try. The inside image- red flowers, half covered with a white text pattern are the best part of the package. With a bright "Belly" logo slapped on it would've made a perfect front cover.

I think it was the Frank Black Headache 10" and 12" where v23 started using photos of record sleeves for their record sleeves. The 12" Now They'll Sleep EP uses the entire CD package all layed flat with a "Belly" logo on top.

I don't own the 12" but I've seen the cover online, as well as the record labels, but I've never seen what the back cover looks like. I'm dying to see it. If you have a scan of the back cover, I'm begging you, please send it along to me. I'll love you forever.

I've found- online- most of the things that I'd looked for forever: Baby Silvertooth, the inside of the Feed The Tree EP, the back cover of the Gepetto 12" EP.

If I can't find the back cover online and if nobody sends it to me then I'll probably buy it online; I've seen it on ebay and internet record stores, but I don't want to have to do that.

I bought the Now They'll Sleep EP CD, along with the Seal My Fate EP CD back in 1995 at Tower Records in Boston. I remember going to visit my high school friend Paula at Regis College afterwards. That was a fun day.

2 comments:

tyoac said...

Belly, to me, is one of the greatest bands EVER

tyoac said...

takes me back to a better time