Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Faith" George Michael




I never bought the Faith album but I think I made a copy of it from the library.

The new deluxe 25th Anniversary Edition just came out and I'd like to get it someday, maybe used in a year or two.

There are 2 discs and a DVD. The first disc is the re-mastered album-

Disc One
1. Faith
2. Father Figure
3. I Want Your Sex (1 & 2)
4. One More Try
5. Hard Day
6. Hand To Mouth
7. Look At Your Hands
8. Monkey
9. Kissing A Fool
10. A Last Request (I Want Your Sex 3)

Disc Two
1. Faith (Instrumental)
2. Fantasy
3. Hard Day (Remix)
4. I Believe
5. Kissing A Fool (Instrumental)
6. Love's In Need Of Love Today (Live)
7. Monkey (7" Edit)
8. Monkey (A cappella)
9. Monkey (Remix)

I like all the singles from Faith- "I Want Your Sex" is still a cool song, "Faith" holds up very well, and "Kissing A Fool" is under-rated. Back when "One More Try" came out, I'd always listen to the radio in bed on headphones; that song always made me sad. As for the other album tracks... they kind of sound a lot alike, especially "Hard Day" and "Monkey". I get the feeling George Michael was dating a junkie when he made this record.

Back in the 80s, when it came to B-sides, instrumental versions made good filler. It'd be cool to hear the instrumentals of "Faith" and "Kissing A Fool". One remix of "Monkey" would probably be plenty, but all three are good. I'm surprised to see "Fantasy" there. It was the B-side for "Freedom 90". That's how I knew it and I didn't realize it was that old.

I remember I had the cassingle for "Freedom 90", and when I was driving my friends Angela and Ally used to love it but they hated "Fantasy" and always fast-forwarded over it. I think it's a cool song.

The DVD contains an interview and seven music videos, including the uncencored version of "I Want You Sex".

No comments: