Friday, February 25, 2011

The Godfather Part III: part two





I fell asleep. My loveseat is so comfortable, and I'd made a nest of blankets and pillows.

I fell asleep sometime after the murder of Don Tommasino. Don Altobello and Don Luchessi put out a hit on Michael; they hired a father & son team.

I like the ending (and I'm not going to give it away). I'm disappointed that I fell asleep because it's very exciting. I think it's safe to tell you that it echos the endings of the first two films.

One thing I don't care for and never did is the scene where someone falls in a huge stairwell. You can clearly tell that it's special effects. That particular scene was used in the original trailer for the movie and it bothered me in 1990 too.

I'd love to read a book that goes into detail about the making of this movie. I bet there are a lot of interesting stories. I read that originally Al Pacino didn't think he was getting enough money and refused to act so they re-wrote the movie and called it The Death of Michael Corleone, and he changed his mind. Robert Duvall was offered as much money as Pacino so he refused to appear. His character was killed off, and the new family lawyer was played by George Hamilton; that seems to be a kind of 'fuck you' to Duvall, since his replacement was seen, even back then, as a joke- known more for his tan than his acting talent.

Robert Di Nero wanted to play Vincent, even though he'd already played the younger Vito in Part II. And Madonna wanted the part of Mary, even though she was way too old.

A lot of people speculate about what the movie would be like if Wynonna Ryder hadn't dropped out. I always liked her, but, like I said, Sofia Coppola was perfect for that role.

The Godfather Part III is an excellent movie, and I can't think of anything I would change about it. Wait. Al Pacino. I don't think he played Michael as well as he did in the first two films. What he gave was his typical early 1990s performance- too loud, too much shouting. The earlier Michael was more even. In the first two films he really seemed to be the character; here he's doing more acting.

One more thing- Diane Keaton's role could've been written better. You'd think after all these years she would've gotten the nagging out of her system, but no. She's older, but still she can't just let things go.

No comments: