Sunday, May 16, 2010

Around the World in a Day


Around the World in a Day (1985) Prince and the Revolution

As a kid I thought the album cover painting for ATWIAD was pretty cool. I didn't realize till a few years ago that the mountain range in the background is the shape of a recling nude woman.

The sleeves for the singles could pull apart to make a long poster, which I still think is cool. "Raspberry Beret" has the girl in the black dress, "Pop Life" is the white- haired crying man, and "America" is the black baby with the flag.

A couple good B-sides came along too: "Hello"- the weak one- was about Prince's experience with "We Are The World"; I love "She's Always in my Hair" and "Girl". All three are included on The Hits/ The B-sides.

Note: Elvis Costello wanted to record a cover of "Pop Life" but Prince said no (EC did do it when he toured for Blood & Chocolate). Later he wanted to sample it for "The Bridge I Burned", the "new" track for his Warner Brothers collection, Extreme Honey, and Prince said no again.

No comments: