Saturday, May 8, 2010

RJ in May



Earlier this morning (I've been up all night) I made a list of creative projects I want to start this week. Here's what I came up with:

*Write a play

*Write a short story about "twin cities"

*Paint a watercolor and frame it

*Do an essay-size journal entry for RJ Battles

*Work out the story for Clementine Sees The State

*Get a story for the longer, Bunnicula-style, 8-11 age group book

*Come up with pictures for greeting cards, Christmas cards, and postcards

*Make plans for advertisements and menu designs

Now, I already have an idea for a play, and I've written part of it, but my friend- who I'd like to write with- would like to start fresh with a new idea.

The other day I was looking up the city of Amityville and on the page it said that Amityville has a "twin city" (I don't remember what it was). From what I understand, certain cities- usually from different countries- are "twinned" to promote a better understanding between different cultures and to promote tourism between the two twin cities. Toledo, Spain and Toledo, Ohio are twin cities (though twin cities don't need to share a name). Maybe that could be the basis or background for a story.

I've been drawing and painting since I was a kid, but writing has always been a side project. As much as I like writing, I've always been aware of my limitations. I can produce something good, but it doesn't come naturally, and it's not unusual for me to read something soon after I wrote it and recognize it as bad writing. Still, sometimes I write something very good. I'd like to write more posts where I tell a good story and tell it well.

Also, I don't want the two Clementine childrens' books to end up as projects that I plan and plan but never do. I need to follow through.

Lastly, I've been neglecting my drawing and painting (for a lot of reasons that are, really, no excuse. I need to get back into it, produce some good works, and send them out into the world, hopefully in a form that brings in some money.

I'm at a point in my life where I need to be more productive and waste less time.

Nothing on the list is too hard and there's no reason why I can't complete everything on it and then add some more things.

I think it's gonna be fun and I can't wait to start.



Note: I found the picture above on the internet during a chihuahua image search (back when I found the chihuahua wearing a sweater and the red-eyed chihuahua with a needle in its teeth). I had one of those Taco Bell dogs, though mine had a microphone and sang "Chances Are".

No comments: