Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Liz Phair




I don't want to be one of those people who complains about Liz Phair because she wanted to move away from "indie" music and made songs that were better suited to the radio.

The self-titled LP is not as bad as people say. It's got "Take A Look", "Bionic Eyes", "HWC", and "Good Love Never Dies", and "Why Can't I?" is a great song and I listen to it whenever it comes on the radio. (I'm not crazy about that last sentence, but I'm not sure how I'd go about re-writing it so I'm letting it stand.)

I'll admit, I don't like the idea of her hooking up with Avril Lavine's producers, but the results turned out OK. I'll also admit that her next record, Somebody's Miracle sucked, but that could happen to anyone.

Here are some pictures from "Supernova" I bought the cassingle in 1994 and a few years later I saw the blue-vinyl 7" at a record store and grabbed it. I love the B-side, "Combo Platter", from the Girlysound recordings. (Part of that song later became "Shitloads of Money" from Whitechocolatespaceegg.

2 comments:

Derek Denim said...

Personally I Love self titled Liz. I admit I was skeptical about the Avril Lavigne alliance but I truly was blown away by this record. She needed a fresh sound and I disagree that she sold out. It's hard to find a Liz Phair fan that like her indie style and her pop style. Most people vehemently despise her new sound.
I agree that Somebody's Miracle was lack luster, but "Wind and Mountain" might be my favorite song by her. Also the Japan version had the bonus track "Can't get out of what I'm into". Which you probably know is a girlysound song.

RJ Battles said...

I know nothing about it, of course, but I think that Whipsmart was closer to the sound she wanted than EiG was. She sounded more like she was enjoying hereself. And while the songs themselves were even better on ECSE, I get the feeling there was a different intention there.
It must be very hard to create something when everyone has certain expectations and everyone is impossible to please.
I think it's a wonder that any good songs get out at all sometimes.