Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Liz Phair Two




Really, people started to complain when Whipsmart came out because it wasn't Exile In Guyville II. I've never even listened to EIG all the way through; I always end up skipping over most of it. I did, however, like Whipsmart (featuring "Cinco de Mayo"; don't forget to listen to it today).

But when I first heard "Polyester Bride" I thought it was plain & dull so I didn't get Whitechocolatespaceegg until years later. Big mistake. WCSE is her best record.

There are only two songs that I skip- "Uncle Alveraz" & "Ride". The other songs are amazing. Some days I have "Perfect World" stuck in my head and I'll hum it on the way to work, at work, and on the way home.

Then there are three perfect songs in a row: "Only Son" (Beautiful; she's a very under-rated singer), "Go On Ahead" (Simple and plain- I love this song), and "Headache" (One of her best songs. There's also a remix out there, the "Tylenol Mix", look for it, it's got a really cool intro).

"Shitloads Of Money" is a new version of a song from Girlysound, the pre-EIG tape. And "Fantasize" has a cool sound and features all of R.E.M. except Michael Stipe.

When you're done reading this you should head to the nearest record store and pick up Whitechocolatespaceegg. If you don't have the money then wait till Friday and then buy it.

2 comments:

Derek Denim said...

You are the first person I've "met" that prefers Whip Smart to EIG. Seriously you should give it a second try.
That album has gotten me through so many times in my life. There is an reissue that has bonus tracks on it. The best is "Ant In Alaska" which is an amazing song that was originally on the 2nd girlysound tape entitled "Girls, Girls, Girls". The version on the reissue is different from the girlysound version. Seriously if you haven't heard it yet, you have to give it a try.

Derek Denim said...

By the way have you heard the Unreleased version of WCSE? Some people prefer it over the regular version.
I like the songs "Freak Of Nature" and "Waiting for the Bird". They never made it to the final release.