Monday, May 3, 2010

Ideas for a Throwing Muses collection

A couple years ago- i think it was right before 4AD put out the Pixies DVD and Wave of Mutilation- there was talk about a Throwing Muses Best Of collection. That would be tough because there are so many albums and EPS, so many good songs. Here is my idea for a two CD collection.

Disc One
1 Civil Disobedience
2 Portia
3 Crayon Sun (B-side)
4 Tar Moochers (alternate version of "Tar Kissers")
5 Shark
6 Start
7 Snakeface
8 Surf Cowboy
9 Summer St.
10 Rosetta Stone
11 Him Dancing (Remix)
12 Not Too Soon
13 Counting Backwards
14 Amazing Grace (B-side)

Disc Two
1 Cottonmouth (B-side)
2 Hillbilly (University out-take)
3 Santa Claus (Hunkpapa bonus track)
4 Devil's Roof
5 Mania (Live)
6 The River
7 Colder
8 Juno
9 Cry Baby Cry
10 Finished
11 Hate My Way
12 Call Me
13 And A She-Wolf After The War
14 Fish (from Lonely Is An Eyesore)


To try to pare this down to a single CD seems impossible to me. That would amount to one track per album and EP. It would be incomplete.

3 comments:

Derek Denim said...

I agree it would be tough. I think it should be 2 discs as well. The first being "with Tanya" and the 2nd being "post Tanya"

RJ Battles said...

I didn't start listening to TM until 1994, so my perspective may be different. As much as I like Chains Changed and then Limbo, I think TM had a lot of momentum in 1991 and lost it for a while after Donelly left. That's based on, not only the best songs from "The Real Ramona", but especially the "Counting Backwards" EP and their cover of "Cry Baby Cry".

RJ Battles said...

And yeah, I agree, that would be a good line of division; pre- and post- TD are so different.